Saturday, April 7, 2012

February 29, 2012

This was my first round.  I went in to have 2 of the chemo meds.  At the end of the session, a 3rd med was given and I wore a pump home to deliver this med over a 41 hour period.  I then returned to the infusion lab to have the pump disconnected.  It really was kind of interesting how perfectly they had this timed.  As I was waiting for them to call me in for my appointment, the pump went off to indicate that the infusion was complete. With the port, everything was very simple.  My side effects were very minimal.  I had some slight nausea, but nothing the medications I had been prescribed did not control. I forgot to mention that Angie and I had also met with the RN who case manages oncology patients and had been told every possible side effect, how to control it, and when to call the doctor.  She was very efficient and thorough.

In the meantime, a decision had been made that I needed to have someone at home with me.  Jordan and Amity agreed to move in to help me through this process.  And then, of course, I had Josh and Angie just a mile away and Ray and Brandi (my nephew and niece) down the street.  At first I was against having the help in the home.  I thought I could do it by myself.  But when I heard the relief in Chuck's voice to know that someone would be there at all times while he was on the road, I relented.  They moved in on March 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment